Cohabitation Solicitors in London

The media have led many to believe that there is a concept of common law husband and wife. There is no such concept in law.  People who live together are known as cohabitees. Under the current law cohabitees have limited rights regardless of how long they have lived together.  It is imperative that if you are a cohabitee (live-in partner), that you obtain sensible advice from our cohabitation lawyers about what rights you do have. Cohabitees do not have the same rights as spouses and civil partners and have no right to maintenance for themselves, lump sums or inheritance claims on the death of their partner.

The expert cohabitation lawyers at Lloyd Platt & Co, are happy and able to give advice on:-

  • Cohabitation agreements before you move in with your partner to deal with issues such as who will have the property in the event of the breakdown of your relationship
  • How payment made towards bills, food, mortgage etc will be treated.  Will this give you a claim in the house or not?
  • In some cases cohabitation agreements may exclude any claims regardless of monies paid
  • What is the effect of you and your partner buying a property together and how will the signing of the document for your property, as joint tenants, impact if you later end your cohabitation

Cohabitation Solicitors London

The law in relation to cohabitees is a minefield and it is imperative that you consider how you will be affected if the relationship ends.

If you have children together you will need advice on whether or not the other parent has parental responsibility.

Lloyd Platt & Co was responsible for the ground breaking case of Re: P (A Child) which set out the parameters for claims for a home or carers allowance for cohabitees (live in partners) in the event that the relationship ends.  Is this case relevant to you and if so, how will it be applied?

Cohabitees (live in partners) do not have automatic rights to pensions.  How can you deal with this if you do not wish to marry?

Lloyd Platt & Co can advise you in relation to a Will or recommend a Trust Deed in relation to property interests.

Contact our Cohabitation Lawyers in London

To make an enquiry please fill in our form, call us on 0208 343 2998 or click to contact our London-based cohabitation solicitors today.

Got a Legal Problem?

Table of Contents

Follow Us

Recent Posts

Pension Sharing
Financial Settlement on Divorce

Pension Sharing

A guide to understanding the basics of pension sharing by Vanessa Lloyd Platt, Lloyd Platt & Co Divorce or separation can be

How to deal with Parental Alienation
Children and Parenting Issues

How to deal with parental alienation

By Vanessa Lloyd Platt, Lloyd Platt & Co Increasingly, in matrimonial cases, we are finding that there are allegations of alienating behaviour.

financial settlement in a divorce
Financial Settlement on Divorce

Financial settlement in a divorce

Does the court need to be involved if you can agree a financial settlement By Vanessa Lloyd Platt, Lloyd Platt & Co

Vannessa's Tips on YouTube

Make an Initial Enquiry

Make an Initial Enquiry
Scroll to Top